top of page


What should I bring with me when I come for a scheduled office appointment?

You should bring with you:

  • a referral letter from your General Practitioner or other specialist or doctor

  • your Medicare card, and your Health Fund information if applicable

  • all X-ray reports and test results from your General Practitioner or other specialist

  • a list of all medications that you are currently taking

  • a list of any known drug allergies and the symptoms you may have from taking these medicines

  • a copy of your operation or procedure report if you have had surgery or a colonoscopy elsewhere. 



Do I need a referral to make an appointment?

As a medical specialist Dr Owen can only see patients who have a written referral. Without a referral you cannot claim your entitled Medicare benefit. Please ensure you have this letter, or that your General Practitioner or other specialist has sent the referral.



What should I expect during first visit?

During your initial visit with Dr Owen you will need to provide a complete medical history. You will need to undergo an appropriate examination, which may include a digital rectal examination. Some patients with minor conditions will be treated during this initial consultation. Other patients may require more detailed investigations. These will be arranged and the results will be discussed at a subsequent visit.

If you require surgery, the options will be explained to you. Any procedures will be explained to you. This will include the expected results and any associated risks or potential complications. Although complications are rare, all surgeries, especially those that involve anaesthesia, carry some risks. Dr Owen will outline these for you based on the specific procedure.


Are my medical records kept private and confidential?

Your medical file is handled with the utmost respect for your privacy. All staff are bound by strict confidentiality requirements as a condition of their employment. We will not release the contents of your medical file unless compelled by law or with your specific, written consent. 



How can my family doctor help me to obtain specialist medical care?

Before seeing any medical specialist, it is always preferable to talk to your GP or family doctor, who can discuss your condition with you and advise you on whether any specialist care is appropriate. If so, your GP can help you choose the specialist that best suits your needs. Your GP can help the specialist to care for you better by providing relevant information about your health. Communicating with the specialist will also enable your GP to care for you better during and after your specialist treatment.

bottom of page